Re: some plugins broke with sm-1.4.8?

>> 2 plugins no longer work for me after installing squirrelmail-1.4.8,
>> twc_weather and abook_group are failing. After some investigation I
>> noticed the twc_weather plugin is choking on accessing the $version of
>> squirrelmail being run (global $version). Upon looking at the Changelog
>> of the 1.4.8 release I came across:
>>
>> - Improved register_globals=on handling code in order to prevent
>>    possible variable corruption. This also effectively rules out
>>    future attack vectors that require register_globals to be on.
>>
>> Anyone running these plugins or other plugins and notice them no
>> longer working with 1.4.8? Is there a new way to access global
>> variables within squirrelmail? What does the improved handling code
>> do?
>>
>> My setup:
>> courier-imap-3.0.8
>> php-common-4.4.2
>> apache-module-php-4.4.2
>> apache-1.3.31
>> Solaris 9
>> squirrelmail-1.4.8
>> Too many plugins to list (~40)
>>
>> Note: I have not verified the abook_group plugin is a result of the
>> global variable issue I am asking about, from the php error logs I
>> can't tell whether its the global variable problem or not.
>
> If you suspect that plugins are affected by global sanitizing code - turn
> off globals. updated code places restrictions on the way files must be
> loaded in register_globals = on setups. Rule is pretty simple - don't set
> any variables before functions/global.php or include/validate.php is
> loaded. If variables are set before loading global.php, code does it in
> environment that can't be trusted.
>
> Code is not active, if you have register_globals turned off.
>
> twc_weather 1.3p2 can be affected by code changes.

Turning register_globals off did indeed fix the weather plugin.

> abook_group 0.50 should not be affected. include calls are not optimal,
> but they should not destroy loaded variables.

This plugin was NOT broke as a result of the improved
register_globals=on handling code. After perusing the mailing lists
again I found that it was broke b/c we enabled ldap addressbook
lookups and the abook_group-0.50 code does not take into account this
remote backend. I added a 3 line hack to fix it until I get around to
testing the latest abook_group-0.51rc1, which supposedly fixes this
issue.

Thanks Tomas.