Re: some plugins broke with sm-1.4.8?

> 2 plugins no longer work for me after installing squirrelmail-1.4.8,
> twc_weather and abook_group are failing. After some investigation I
> noticed the twc_weather plugin is choking on accessing the $version of
> squirrelmail being run (global $version). Upon looking at the Changelog
> of the 1.4.8 release I came across:
>
> - Improved register_globals=on handling code in order to prevent
>    possible variable corruption. This also effectively rules out
>    future attack vectors that require register_globals to be on.
>
> Anyone running these plugins or other plugins and notice them no
> longer working with 1.4.8? Is there a new way to access global
> variables within squirrelmail? What does the improved handling code
> do?
>
> My setup:
> courier-imap-3.0.8
> php-common-4.4.2
> apache-module-php-4.4.2
> apache-1.3.31
> Solaris 9
> squirrelmail-1.4.8
> Too many plugins to list (~40)
>
> Note: I have not verified the abook_group plugin is a result of the
> global variable issue I am asking about, from the php error logs I
> can't tell whether its the global variable problem or not.

If you suspect that plugins are affected by global sanitizing code - turn
off globals. updated code places restrictions on the way files must be
loaded in register_globals = on setups. Rule is pretty simple - don't set
any variables before functions/global.php or include/validate.php is
loaded. If variables are set before loading global.php, code does it in
environment that can't be trusted.

Code is not active, if you have register_globals turned off.

twc_weather 1.3p2 can be affected by code changes.

abook_group 0.50 should not be affected. include calls are not optimal,
but they should not destroy loaded variables.

--
Tomas