Re: cyrus->sasl->pam->ldap login error

> Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
>>> I get a blank page from squirrelmail when I try to login. It's a
>>> Solaris
>>> 9 imap server running cyrus 2.3.7, using sasl2.1.22->pam->ldap for
>>> authentication. Every other email client I have tried works fine,
>>> including thunderbird, outlook, and eudora. Only squirrelmail seems to
>>> have a problem.
>>>
>>> A pertinent bit of log file:
>>>
>>> Sep 14 12:16:29 tsnfs.ece.gatech.edu imaps[2800]: [ID 379946
>>> local6.notice] starttls: TLSv1 with cipher AES256-SHA (256/256 bits
>>> new)
>>> no authentication
>>>

>> imaps + starttls? Stable SquirrelMail version does not support starttls.
>> Why IMAPS client connection adds 'starttls' to your logs? IMAP client
>> should track TLS state and should not issue STARTTLS command on TLS
>> connection.

>>> So squirrelmail tries to login twice, and the second time fails. The
>>> ldapserver thinks that both logins succeeded. The imap server doesn't.
>>> Squirrelmail gives me a blank page.
>>>

>> Blank page means PHP error. Turn on display_errors setting in php.ini or
>> any other place that can be used to modify display_errors setting. Make
>> sure that error_reporting is set to E_ALL or E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE.
>>
>> Used PHP version? If PHP is 4.x - how openssl extension is compiled in?
>>
>> SquirrelMail version and IMAP options? (conf.pl -> 2. Server Settings ->
>> A. Update IMAP settings, show options from 4 to 9)
>>

> Thanks, Tomas,
>
> I'm using php 5.1.4 with the openssl module.
> error_reporting  =  E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE
> display_errors = On
>
> It's squirrelmail 1.5.2[CVS]
>
> IMAP Settings
> --------------
> 4.  IMAP Server            : tsnfs.ece.gatech.edu
> 5.  IMAP Port              : 993
> 6.  Authentication type    : login
> 7.  Secure IMAP (TLS)      : 1
> 8.  Server software        : cyrus
> 9.  Delimiter              : .
>
> This setup works fine with cyrus->sasl->pam->NIS. It's when I change to
> cyrus->sasl->pam->LDAP that it fails. The other email clients work fine.
> Since SM tries to login twice, succeeds the first time but fails the
> second time, I don't think it's a php error, and that is why I get no
> error message from php. Why does SM try to login twice?

first connection in src/login.php (IMAP test). first login in
src/redirect.php, second and third logins in src/left_main.php and
src/right_main.php. src/webmail.php might start imap connection too, if
plugins use it. PHP scripts don't support persistent IMAP connections.
Check imapproxy options, if you want to reduce number of login calls.

Which 1.5.2cvs version? PHP 5.1.2+ issues are fixed after 2006-04-06.
Secure IMAP/SMTP (TLS) menu displays human readable strings after
2006-07-15. If you don't have include/init.php, you use version which is
not compatible with PHP 5.1.2+. If you do have that file, then issue is
not related to PHP 5.1.2+ changes, but you have very unstable code.

--
Tomas