Re: Problem sending mail

>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am searching around to figure out why squirrelmail is sending out
>> all
>> > my mail in double ( twice ). The strange part is that this occures
>> only
>> > in squirrelmail. I have tested with squirrelmail 1.4.7, and 1.4.8. I
>> have
>> > disabled anti-spam/anti-virus so i can pinpoint the problem and it's
>> now
>> > down
>> > to squirellmail and my configuration.

>> the
>> >
>> > shell samething everything is alright.
>> >
>> > I created a small php script that sends an email and i hosted it into
>> > apache's
>> > document root. I executed it via the shell, everything is ok, via a
>> > browser,
>> > i got my test email only once so everything is fine there.
>> >
>> > What i see in my logs is 2 smtp connections when i click the "send"
>> > button this is why i am thinking about a squirrelmail configuration
>> > error.
>> >
>> > I have a setup with postfixadmin and mysql and squirrelmail using
>> virtual
>> > domain and some kickass ldap authentication. But his doesn't affect
>> much
>> > outgoing mail :)
>> >

>> > Has anyone ever had this problem ?
>> > I will be around all day if you want to see parts of my configuration.
>>
>> 1. SquirrelMail does not use PHP mail() function. If you want to test
>> email sending "SquirrelMail way", feed email with popen() to
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail or with fsockopen() to smtp server.
>
> ok so squirrelmail sends it just like i do in the shell ( sort of ) i do
> echo "test" | mail -s "test" user@domain

SquirrelMail uses more options and runs within restrictions placed on
webserver user and PHP interpreter. It is not same thing as executing mail
command in shell. I think, you are running mail command from admin's
account or account with valid shell and environment is not chrooted.
Webserver's user account is limited and in some cases chrooted.

>> 2. Please provide information about webserver OS, PHP safe_mode setting
>> and disabled PHP functions.
>
> I use freebsd 6.x with php 5.1.4
> safe_mode = Off
> disable_functions =

If you use /usr/sbin/sendmail in SquirrelMail configuration, try switching
to smtp or check your mailwrapper configuration. Some sendmail wrappers
are not fully compatible with sendmail.org's sendmail. SquirrelMail 1.4.8
allows to control options used in sendmail command.

If you use SMTP, check your smtp server.

If you use Internet Explorer 7, test other browser.

--
Tomas