Re: Squirrelmail + avelsieve + dovecot: is it possible?

> I have postfix already delivering all email for several virtual users
> (me@xxxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) to _one_ Maildir mailbox.
> Dovecot serves that to squirrelmail and/or to my pop3 client at home.
>
> What I want is:
>
> 1) in squirrelmail, *see* different mailboxes, one per user/list
>    combination, each notifying new messages separately, ex:
> 	me@xxxxxxxxxxx from list A => mailbox me_list_A
> 	me@xxxxxxxxxxx from list B => mailbox me_list_B
> 	webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx      => mailbox webmaster_2
>    etc...
>
> 2) to do the above *without* changing the current postfix / dovecot setup,
>    since that is not really under my control.
>
> So it's not avelsieve or nothing for some religious reason :-) If
> there is a simpler solution, please just tell me!

I think you don't need such a configuration. We use fetchmail to collect mails
from a couple of sources. Fetchmail is able to forward the messages to any
local mail receipient. This means: Fetchmail gets the mails from x@xxxxxxx
(POP3 or IMAP) and deliver it locally to myname@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Logging on to SM
with myname@xxxxxxxxxxxx you see all those mails in your INBOX with a
untouched "TO:" field (still x@xxxxxxx). Then you can setup the
serversidefilter plugin and to automatically move those messages from INBOX to
a folder of your choice.

If you then want to reply to a message with "FROM: x@xxxxxxx" you can add this
email address as another identity in SM. Then you're able to select the
"FROM:" identity in the compsoe window.

This configuration works fine for all of my clients.

>> There are a couple of SM plugins you can use either to do filtering
>> within SM or as interface to procmail/maildrop. I've a setup with
>> dovecot and serversidefilter plugin (as frontend to maildrop)
>
> Hmmm... the problem here are that:
>
> * AFAIK, maildrop is only distributed in rpm format as part of Cyrus,
>   isn't it? I cannot compile and install from source on that box, it
>   must all be under yum/rpm control...

I use DEBIAN and there maildrop is available as seperate package. You can use
procmail as well :-)

> * I got the impression that procmail is not compatible with the
>   virtual users setup I said above, or my other needs. Consider that
>   I need all messages to remain in ONE server mailbox, otherwise I
>   cannot retrieve them all via pop3 when I'm at my desk.
>
> The ideal solution for me would be something that, on the fly, just
> makes Squirrelmail _display_ the messages in different inboxes in the
> browser, while leaving everything as is on the server. Is this doable?

Plugin useracl does not work with dovecot. So you haveto change the IMAP
server to one which supports ACL.

Hope that helps.

Live long and prosper
Florian