final findings: Unexpected terminated connection

One final observation:

I use Apache-SSL, and /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf is included in
httpd.conf

With the default apache.conf, the error occurs.

If I flip SSLDisable to SSLEnable (and moving the webserver to port 443)

Things start working again.

FYI: in httpd.conf (1.2.3.4 replaced with real IP, ofcourse!)

Port 443
Listen 1.2.3.4:80
Listen 1.2.3.4:443
Listen 127.0.0.1:80
Listen 127.0.0.1:443

Finally, I flipped SSLEnable back to SSLDisable, and changed port to
Port 80

and things still work!

Even though the webserver listens to both port 80 and 443, apparently
there *IS* a difference between the Port an Listen directive.

Port 443
Listen 1.2.3.4:80
Listen 1.2.3.4:443
SSLDisable
no virtual host
http://myhost.foo.bar/squirrelmail/

Does *NOT* work

Port 443
Listen 1.2.3.4:80
Listen 1.2.3.4:443
SSLDisable
Using a virtual host (on port 80, obviously!)
http://myhost.foo.bar/

*DOES* work

Port 80
Listen 1.2.3.4:80
Listen 1.2.3.4:443
SSLDisable
no virtual host
http://myhost.foo.bar/squirrelmail/

*DOES* work

Port 443
Listen 1.2.3.4:80
Listen 1.2.3.4:443
SSLEnable
no virtual host
https://myhost.foo.bar/squirrelmail/

*DOES* work

Port 443
Listen 1.2.3.4:80
Listen 1.2.3.4:443
SSLEnable
Using virtual host (on port 443, obviously!)
https://myhost.foo.bar/

*DOES* work

Still don't know if it's a Squirrelmail or an Apache problem, but this
is as far as I could drill down the cause of the problem.

Hope this helps,

Marcel