Re: Odd Trouble w/ a User's Inbox in SquirrelMail

>>> I'm having a weird problem. I just upgraded our Mac Xserve G5 from Mac
>>> OS Server 10.3.9 to 10.4.7 (it was a straightforward upgrade, so the
>>> various versions of the imap server, PHP, etc would be the standard
>>> install for a Mac Server running 10.4.7).
>>>
>>> After the upgrade, one of my users started having trouble with her Inbox
>>> in SquirrelMail (v. 1.4.5). For the user, her Inbox (1) is no longer a
>>> link (it's just non-clickable text), and (2) the number of new
messages >>> in the Inbox is no longer displayed (even though the
"Folder
>>> Preferences" are set as they always have been), and I have deleted the
>>> users' SquirrelMail prefs file (thinking that might have an
>>> effect' it did not).
>>>
>>> This only affects this one user.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> You use proprietary operating system with small user base. I suspect that
>> MacOS X 10.3 uses EIMS and 10.4 switched to Cyrus. Please provide
>> information about your setup. We need information about used PHP
>> version and IMAP server.
>
> I checked, and the PHP version is 4.4.1

Could you make sure that Apple fixed all PHP 4.4.1 bugs? PHP 4.4.1 version
is broken. Make sure that Apple fixed broken mbstring extension
(http://bugs.php.net/33720) and prev/next (http://bugs.php.net/35067)
functions. Maybe they have PHP 4.4.2 or 5.1.4 packages in their updates
for Mac OS X 10.4.x.

See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303453

> I believe the cyrus-imapd version is 2.2.12 (I wasn't sure how to get the
> cyrus version)
>
> I'm thinking of repairing/reconstructing the imap database as a possible
> fix, but it might be easier if there is something I can do to fix the
> trouble in SquirrelMail.

Could you check some things in your setup?

1. Enable SquirrelMail info plugin and run tests 0, 1, 2, 7 and 8. Compare
test results on working and not-working user accounts. Commands listed in
these tests should not break anything. They only provide information about
inbox status and list available IMAP folders.

2. Show SquirrelMail $imap_server_type, $optional_delimiter,
$default_folder_prefix, $show_prefix_option, $default_sub_of_inbox,
$show_contain_subfolders_option, $noselect_fix_enable, $allow_thread_sort,
$allow_server_sort, $allow_charset_search and $uid_support settings stored
in config.php file

3. Show your PHP register_globals value and all mbstring extension settings.
http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/TestPHPSettings

>> Contact your email software (Entourage) manufacturer and explain that
>> iso-8859-1 character set is not superset to windows-1252. Single
>> left-pointing angle quotation mark (0x8B) is not supported by ISO-8859-1.
>> Or make sure that your sent mail folder stores email that uses correct
>> character set.
>
> Entourage is Microsoft's Mac email client, I'm not sure that contacting
> Microsoft to tell them that their mail client doesn't play well with
> Windows will have much affect. I've set this message to send as
> windows-1252; I hope that helps.

I suspect that Entourage provides incorrect information about used
character set. It is not about playing nice with Windows. It is about
providing correct information about email format. If you don't complain,
they won't fix it. You are Microsoft customer and you paid 150-500 USD for
their product. You have the right to complain about their product bugs.

--
Tomas