timeout issue

We're trying to move from an older version of squirrelmail to a more current one but are having some trouble with a timeout for people who
have several thousand messages in their inbox (those people can login to the older squirrelmail without a problem).  Both instances are
contacting the same imap mail server.

The problem is with squirrelmail-1.4.6-7.el4 on RHEL4 and what happens is that the left pane loads ok after login, but there is never any
content shown in the larger right hand pane.  There is no error message returned to the browser, only an empty page (some browsers show an
empty file named right_main.php and ask if you want to download/open it) after about 15 seconds.

For users with only a couple hundred messages things work fine.

On our older installation of squirrelmail, when a user's mailbox grows too large, the user recieves a (somewhat cryptic) error about
exceeding a 30 second timeout -- but no similar error is returned for the new server (and the big problem is that the threshhold seems to be
  a much smaller inbox).

I've searched archives and source code for some way to increase the timeout value, but haven't yet found it.  I have a vague memory of a
post from several months ago (not even sure it was on this list) about someone who claimed to have raised a default timeout from 30 seconds
to 300 seconds.  This person said s/he had no trouble (other than the several minute delay) with loading inboxes with huge mailboxes as long
as enough memory had been allocated in php.ini and the imap server was fast enough.

I would love to know how to troubleshoot/solve this issue.

	thanks very much in advance,
		~c