Re: STARTTLS to Courier IMAPS failing on fresh install

> hi all-
>
> I'm having issues getting Squirrelmail to connect to my Courier IMAPS
> server via STARTTLS (other mail clients, such as Thunderbird, are
> connecting just fine). I'm not seeing any errors in courier or apache
> logs when squirrelmail attempts to connect. I'm on FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE
> with the following all installed from ports:
>
> - Apache 2.2.2
> - PHP 5.1.4
> - PHP 5 Extensions ( imap, openssl, et al)
> - Courier Authlib 0.58
> - Courier IMAP 4.1.1,1
> - Squirrelmail-devel (1.5.1)
>
> here are my config settings:
>
> IMAP Settings
> --------------
> 4.  IMAP Server            : 1.2.3.4
> 5.  IMAP Port              : 993
> 6.  Authentication type    : login
> 7.  Secure IMAP (TLS)      : 2
> 8.  Server software        : courier
> 9.  Delimiter              : detect
>
> and here's the output from configtest:
>
> SquirrelMail version:	1.5.1
> Config file version:	1.4.0
> Config file last modified:	20 June 2006 11:56:27
> Checking PHP configuration...
>      PHP version 5.1.4 OK.
>      PHP extensions OK.
> Checking paths...
>      Data dir OK.
>      Attachment dir OK.
>      Plugins are not enabled in config.
>      Themes OK.
>      Default language OK.
>      Base URL detected as: https://hostname/squirrelmail/src
> Checking outgoing mail service....
>      SMTP server OK (220 hostname ESMTP)
> Checking IMAP service....
>
>      ERROR: Error connecting to IMAP server. Server error:
>
> basically, it hangs for about 30 seconds and then times out. It seems
> like it just can't even connect, which is very odd, but as you can see,
> i don't really get any error messages to help me out.
>
> any thoughts?

don't confuse IMAPS with StartTLS. IMAPS is IMAP over SSL. It uses
separate tcp port. StartTLS is special extension that allows to start
encryption on existing plain text connection. It uses standard imap port.

If you want to use IMAPS, you should set port to 993 and secure IMAP
option to 1. If you want to use starttls, you should set port to 143 and
secure IMAP option to 2.

--
Tomas