fixing "Undefined offset" notices when using mysql session storage

Tassium told me to post this here, since it gets archived and is searchable.

I am using MySQL to store PHP session data and started getting "Undefined
offset" notices in squirrelmail.  I just fixed the problem and in the
interest of helping others not have to go through the troubleshooting
process, I'll explain what I know about it and how to fix it.

PHP gives a notice of "undefined offset" when it tries to read session or
cookie data that is corrupt or incomplete.  It turns out what was
corrupting my session data was the fact that I was storing the session
data in a field of type TEXT.  It wasn't long enough.  Setting it to type
MEDIUMTEXT fixed the problem as squirrelmail was able to store all of the
tons-o-session-data that it likes to store.  If, by some unholy reason,
squirrelmail starts storing more data than MEDIUMTEXT can hold, LONGTEXT
can be used.