Search squid archive

Re: Linux Noob - Squid Config

On 4/05/24 07:59, Piana, Josh wrote:
Hey Everyone.

I apologize in advance for any lack of formality normally shared on mailing lists such as these, it’s my first time seeking product support in this manner.

NO need to apologize. Help and questions is most of what we do here :-)

I want to start by saying that I’m new to Linux, been using Windows environments my entire life. Such is the reason for me reaching out to you all.

I have been tasked with modernizing a Squid box and feel very overwhelmed, to say the least.

Current Setup:

èCentOS 5.0

èSquid 2.3

èApache 2.0.46

èSamba 3.0.9

Desired Setup:

èRHEL 9.2 OS

èNeeds to qualify for NTLM authentication

Hmm, does it *have* to be NTLM? that auth protocol was deprecated in 2006.

èWould like to remove legacy apps/services

èContinue to authenticate outgoing communication via AD

My question is, how do I get all of these services/apps to work together? Do I just install the newest versions of each and migrate the existing config files?

I was hoping for a better understanding on how all of these work together and exactly how to configure or edit these as needed. I’ve gotten as far as installing RHEL 9.2 on a fresh VM Server and trying as best as I can to learn the basics on Linux and just the general operation of a Linux ran environment. It feels like trying to ride a bike with box wheels.

The installation of a basic Squid service for RHEL is easy.
Just open a terminal and enter this command:

   yum install squid

The next part is going over your old Squid configuration to see how much of it remains necessary or can be updated. It would be useful for the next steps to copy it to the RHEL machine as /etc/squid/squid.conf.old .

You can likely find it on the CentOS machine at /etc/squid/squid.conf or /usr/share/squid/etc/squid.conf depending on how that Squid was built.

If you are able to paste the contents of that file (without the '#' comment or empty lines) here, we can assist with getting the new Squid doing the same or equivalent actions.

Also please paste the output of "squid -v" run on both the old CentOS machine and on the new RHEL.

Cheers
Amos