Search squid archive

Install-Problems under WSL2 / Unbuntu 22.04 LTS with squid v6.9

Hello,

after a few attempts and tests with Squid (version 5.7) under Windows Server 2022 - "Windows Subsystem for Linux" with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, I decided to install newer versions of Squid (e.g. v6.9) on the system in question. In doing so, I encountered problems that I did not expect and had not yet found a solution to. First of all, I am not a Linux expert and therefore hope to get some valuable tips and advice from the community.
So, what is it all about?
I want to compile, install and run the latest version of Squid (v6.9) under WSL2 (I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS).
What exactly have I done ?
- downloaded the latest squid_6.9.tar.gz and put it in the /opt directory
- unpacked tar with tar xzf
- ./configure as specified on the squid-cache-faq page for Ubuntu:
--prefix=/usr \
--localstatedir=/var \
--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/squid \
--datadir=${prefix}/share/squid \
--sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
--with-default-user=administrator \ ### a deviation here
--with-logdir=/var/log/squid \
--with-pidfile=/var/run/squid.pid
- Missing dependencies like
gcc
c++
g++
clang
perl
libssl-dev
as packages via apt-get install and installed
- executed ./configure again and checked for any missing dependencies
- after Ok, then executed the following steps
- make executed (completed successfully)
- make check (completed successfully)
- make install (completed successfully)
After the installation, however, I notice that squid cannot be started. The error message says that squid cannot find the squid.service. Obviously not everything was installed correctly or completely during the installation. When I search for the file in question in the folder, this file is nowhere to be found (except of course in the compressed squid.tar file). Strange.
When setting up WSL2 for the first time, you are asked for the main user: the main user is "administrator" --> hence a change when calling the ./configure command (default-user). I think this is correct.
However, I also carried out the installation as "root". The behavior is the same.
I have already carried out 4 or 5 compilations and installations with slight differences. Unfortunately, I am not successful. Squid cannot be started.
I hope there is someone in the community who has already had experience with WSL2 (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and can give me a little help to get the whole thing working after all. Is it perhaps an access problem that occurred during installation? (I have read that Ubuntu is partly different from the "original" Linux). Or is my configuration (./configure) insufficient or incomplete.
Since the Squid project is very interesting and I would like to follow it and gain experience, I would be happy to receive your tips.

Have a nice Sunday and greetings from Germany
Yvon