Search squid archive

Re: Chrome auto-HTTPS-upgrade - not falling to http

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 11:05:02 -0400
From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Chrome auto-HTTPS-upgrade - not falling to
	http

On 2024-04-03 02:14, Lou?ansk? Luk?? wrote:

this has recently started me up more then let it go. For a while
chrome is upgrading in-page links to https.
Just to add two more pieces of related information to this thread:

Some Squid admins report that their v6-based code does not suffer from
this issue while their v5-based code does. I have not verified those
reports, but there may be more to the story here. What Squid version are
_you_ using?

One way to track progress with this annoying and complex issue is to
follow the following pull request. The current code cannot be officially
merged as is, and I would not recommend using it in production (because
of low-level bugs that will probably crash Squid in some cases), but
testing it in the lab and providing feedback to authors may be useful:

https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/pull/1668

HTH,

Alex.

Hello,

fortunately, I do not observe this problem accessing sites running only on port 80 (no 443 at all), but my configuration is simple:

squid 6.6 as FreeBSD binary package

not much about ssl in the config file though, just passing it through, no ssl juggling

acl SSL_ports port
acl Safe_ports port 80
acl Safe_ports port 443
acl CONNECT method CONNECT
http_access deny !Safe_ports
http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
http_access deny to_localhost
http_access allow ....
http_access allow ....
http_access allow ....
http_access allow ....
http_access allow ....
http_access deny all

I don't think it was different with squid 5.9, which I used till November 2023.

Occasionally, I see another problem, which may or may not be related to squid ssl handling configuration: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR (Firefox) / ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED (Chrome), typically accessing samba.org. But they use permanent redirect from http to https, so it another situation than http-only site.

David