Search squid archive

Re: New Squid prefers IPv4

Hi there

On 05/02/2024 18:32, Antony Stone wrote:

On Monday 05 February 2024 at 17:32:51, Rob van der Putten wrote:

On 05/02/2024 17:16, Dieter Bloms wrote:
On Mon, Feb 05, Rob van der Putten wrote:
After upgrading Squid from 3 to 5 the percentage of IPv6 reduced from
61% to less then 1%.
Any ideas?

yes, since squid5 the happy eyeball algorithm as described in rfc 8305
is used.
If your ipv4 connectivity is better than ipv6 than ipv4 is used.

I'm not quite sure how this is established. It prefers IPv4 even when
the IPv6 ping is slightly smaller.

I believe ping (ICMP) timings are irrelevant.  The client (squid in this case)
does a DNS lookup for the hostname's A and AAAA records,

A before AAAA. Bind responds within the same millisecond.

then makes two
simultaneous HTTP connections to the server (one IPv4, on IPv6) and whichever
one responds first *by HTTP* is then regarded as being the best way to route
traffic thereafter.

I do not see Squid opening two connections simultaneously and then closing one. It's just one connection.

So, if you want to understand how this is doing what it is, I suggest you
perform a packet capture of HTTP traffic and look at the requests and the
response timings.

Regards,
Rob