Search squid archive

Re: [ext] Squid quits while starting?!

* Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 2/10/23 10:28, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> > Squid's user friendliness could use a major overhaul.
>
> Agreed. As one of the people trying to do that for the past decade ... any
> suggestions of better wording are welcome.

But you have to admit this: I read the error message (I'm no devel, just a
mere admin), which CLEARLY stated what was wrong (the DB needs to be
initialized).

This is so much better than windows, which usually says something like
"A generic error occured: -34", which tells you nothing. At all.

> That is false. Squid writes as much information as it can about the problem
> to log, stderr, and if possible the system message log. There is nothing
> else a process like Squid can do.

Squid COULD have initialized the DB itself.
That's the criticism I'm willing to allow.
If it KNOWS what's wrong, why not "fix" it itself.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin

Tel. +49 30 450 570 155