Search squid archive

Re: ssl-bump peek and select pinned destination failed

On 2023-09-20 04:17, linfengfeiye wrote:
Hi, what does "PeerSelector186 found pinned, destination" that appears in the Squid log mean?

Please note that Squid debugging logs (cache.log at level 3 and above) are for developer use. This mailing list is not. In triage, I recommend focusing on access.log, non-debugging cache.log, and other admin-focused resources while leaving debug log analysis to Squid developers.

Roughly speaking, the logging message you are asking about means that Squid code tasked with selecting where to forward the request found a previously opened Squid-to-server connection that was assigned (i.e., "pinned") to the client-to-Squid connection on which that request was received. In most cases, that connection will be used for that request.

In SslBump context, a Squid-to-server TCP connection gets pinned to the corresponding client-to-Squid TCP connection because that Squid-to-server TLS connection uses TLS settings specific to that client and vice versa. Pinning minimizes surprises/changes for TLS clients that are not expected to be bumped. It also creates various problems.

The destination address https://my.local.web in this log is returned by URL-Rewrite, rewrite-url=https://my.local.web, which is a local web service of mine.But it failed directly after peer_select. I think this should be related to ssl-bump.

AFAICT, without significant Squid code adjustments, one cannot rewrite destinations of bumped requests because rewritten requests will still be assigned the old pinned Squid-to-server connections despite request destination changes.

My decryption configuration is roughly as follows.

The strange thing is that as long as I comment these two lines,

#acl step1 at_step SslBump1
#ssl_bump peek step1 all

  the pinned destination disappears and the access is successful,why?

Roughly speaking, without SslBump (and certain other special cases), there is no need to pin connections and there is no URL rewriting (for encrypted requests).

HTH,

Alex.

##follows is ssl-bump config################

http_port 3126 intercept
https_port 3129 intercept ssl-bump generate-host-certificates=on options=NO_SSLv3 tls-min-version=1.2 dynamic_cert_mem_cache_size=4MB tls-cert=/os/usr/local/proxy/etc/cert.pem http_port 3128 ssl-bump generate-host-certificates=on options=NO_SSLv3 tls-min-version=1.2 dynamic_cert_mem_cache_size=4MB tls-cert=/usr/local/proxy/etc/cert.pem
acl step1 at_step SslBump1
sslcrtd_program /os/usr/local/proxy/libexec/security_file_certgen -s /usr/local/proxy/var/lib/ssl_db -M 4MB
sslcrtd_children 5
ssl_bump peek step1 all
ssl_bump splice white_list
ssl_bump bump bump_domain