Search squid archive

Re: Squid-cache authentication is not working

On 2023-09-09 15:09, Jason Long wrote:

My Squid-cache server IP is "192.168.1.2".
I use Mozilla Firefox and set the proxy to "192.168.1.2:3128".
What information do you need to tell you?

Do you see Firefox requests/transactions reflected in Squid access.log?

Anything in Squid cache.log?

Sorry, I do not know where those logs are on your machine. Typical locations include /var/log/ and /usr/local/squid/var/logs

Another thing to check is whether the http_access rules you have added are in the right place. If you simply appended those rules to the default Squid configuration file, then they will not work (because http_access rules above them will be used instead). Default squid.conf marks the place where you should insert custom http_access rules: Look for an "INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE" comment.

You can check this second theory by removing "http_access allow auth_users" and leaving just the "http_access deny all" rule that you have added earlier. If everything still works, then either Squid does not receive these requests at all (i.e. the first theory) or your access rules are too low (i.e. this second theory).

HTH,

Alex.

    On Sat, Sep 9, 2023 at 5:56 PM, Alex Rousskov
    On 2023-09-09 09:09, Jason Long wrote:

     > Hello,
     > I installed the Squid-cache on Debian 12, then I installed the
    Apache utils:

     > $ sudo apt install apache2-utils
     >
     > After it, I did the following steps:
     >
     > $ sudo touch /etc/squid/passwd
     > $ sudo chown proxy /etc/squid/passwd
     >
     > Then:
     >
     > $ sudo htpasswd /etc/squid/passwd jason
     >
     > After it, I opened the "/etc/squid/squid.conf" file and add the
    following lines to it:

     > auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/basic_ncsa_auth
    /etc/squid/passwd
     > auth_param basic children 5
     > auth_param basic realm Squid Basic Authentication
     > auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
     > acl auth_users proxy_auth REQUIRED
     > http_access allow auth_users
     > http_access deny all
     >

     > Finally:
     > $ sudo systemctl restart squid
     >
     > But, on the client machine, I can visit any website without the
    username and password.
     > Which part of the configuration is wrong?

    Many things could go wrong, but I would start from the beginning:
    Perhaps the client (browser) is not configured to use the proxy? Do you
    see client transactions reflected in Squid access.log? Anything in
    Squid
    cache.log?

    HTH,

    Alex.