Search squid archive

Re: Log 407-transactions when username is known

On 17/02/2023 7:29 pm, Andrey K wrote:
Hello,

I would like to disable logging of 407-errors, except when the username is known.
Is it possible to configure?

Assuming that you have the wrapper script from your previous request about always logging usernames you should be able to use a note type ACL like so:

 acl knownUser note user
 access_log ... on-error=drop http-407 !knownUser

I have now the log configured:
acl http-407 http_status 407
access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log logformat=extended-squid on-error=drop !http-407

But I would also like to see authentication errors when a user types the wrong password (the username is known in these cases).

With most HTTP authentication you could rely on all 407 meaning bad or unknown credentials. But NTLM (ab)uses that code for its handshake type-2 response, so you one distinguish a failed from an incomplete authentication.

At this point you are already wrapping and re-writing most of the NTLM->Squid helper traffic. You could adjust the challenge to also use the current helper syntax with a custom note to log. But I recommend just upgrading your systems to Kerberos which will avoid a lot of these complications entirely.

Cheers
Amos