Search squid archive

Re: Howto make Squid config dependent on hostname?

On 9/16/22 06:30, Hildegard Meier wrote:
Squid currently only supports three kinds of conditions: true,
false, and integer equality comparison (as documented).

I think it would be very good to give some concrete examples of how
one can use the if-condition.

I agree.

For now, your best option is probably to post-process the versioned
configuration to substitute your own custom macro(s). For example, your
Squid startup (or deployment) stript can substitute a
${mynamespace:PeerName} macro in squid.conf.template with either true or
false, depending on the node, producing squid.conf that Squid can use:

cache_peer ${mynamespace:PeerName} sibling 3128 3130

If you need to hard-code peer names or substantially different
configurations for individual cache peers, then you can do something
like this in the template configuration file:

if ${mynamespace:AtNode1()}
      cache_peer node2.example.com sibling 3128 3130
endif

if ${mynamespace:AtNode2()}
      cache_peer node1.example.com sibling 3128 3130
endif

Sorry, I do not understand what you write.

It is difficult for me to improve the above without knowing which parts are unclear to you, but I will try: The above snippets are concrete examples of how one can use conditional statements (with custom macros) in a squid.conf template. Your custom program will take a squid.conf.template containing one of the above snippet and substitute the above ${...} custom macros with appropriate values.

On node1, the first template snippet will be replaced with

  cache_peer node2.example.com sibling 3128 3130

On node2, the first template snippet will be replaced with

  cache_peer node1.example.com sibling 3128 3130

On node1, the second template snippet will be replaced with

  if true
       cache_peer node2.example.com sibling 3128 3130
  endif

  if false
       cache_peer node1.example.com sibling 3128 3130
  endif

HTH,

Alex.