Search squid archive

Re: Logrotate question

Hey Rob,

The next is the file:

From: squid-users <squid-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of robert k Wild
Sent: Thursday, 16 June 2022 13:27
To: Squid Users <squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Logrotate question

Cool, so I will rotate daily and delete after 91 days, thanks guys

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022, 11:14 Matus UHLAR - fantomas, <uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 16.06.22 10:54, robert k Wild wrote:
>Basically I want to keep logs for 3 months then rotate so it overwrites
>them with another 3 months, if that makes sense

in fact, it does not.

I guess you are supposed to keep 3 months of logs, which mean, you always
need to have 3 months of logs available.

Each day, you can delete log files over 3 months old.

If you rotated lof once in 3 months, you would have single file with 3
months of logs in it, and could remove it 3 months after rotating, when
first logs would be 6 months old.

As we already told you, rotate daily and remove old logs after 92 days.
and use logrotate config.

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@xxxxxxxxxxx ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer.