Search squid archive

Re: Squid 4 Migration - balance_on_multiple_ip

On 1/6/21 3:24 PM, Conner Bean wrote:

> Hope you are all well. I'm attempting to migrate from Squid 3.5 to 4,
> and in my conf file I used to have balance_on_multiple_ip toggled on
> as to reduce chance of brownouts on endpoints.

FYI: Enabling balance_on_multiple_ip does nothing in Squid v3.5.

> I noticed this is not available in Squid 4, is it on by default? Or
> is there some alternative?

Squid is no longer capable of rotating host IPs on every access.

* AFAICT, the code associated with that directive was silently and, I
bet, accidentally removed in v3.2 (commit 9a6476c). The release notes
for that version were updated seven years later (commit 635c161).

* Squid v3.2 release notes associated with balance_on_multiple_ip
removal say that such rotation is no longer possible.

* Current squid.conf.documented says that such rotation is no longer
relevant.

FWIW, I disagree with the last two assertions: The Happy Eyeballs
principle is compatible and largely orthogonal to the IP rotation idea.
Squid just lacks the code to properly support that rotation.

HTH,

Alex.