Search squid archive

Re: squid writes to /var/log/messages

I solved disabling ‘-s' option in squid startup script.
Thanks

On 21 Dec 2020, at 15:36, Alex Rousskov <rousskov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/21/20 8:29 AM, sampei02@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

My distro is Centos7 and rsyslog is enabled and It’s  configured to
write to /var/log/messages; it’s the default behaviour. But how can I
avoid Squid writes into this file? I chose the Squid default log
files which are contained into /var/log/squid/ folder.

You already know from other responses that removing "-s" from your Squid
command line options is the primary solution for stopping Squid from
logging to syslog, but I wanted to add a caveat:

* Some Squid messages are only logged to syslog.
 Those messages are logged to syslog regardless of the "-s" presence.
 I suspect they may also disregard the "-l facility" setting.

... where "logged to syslog" should be interpreted as "sent to the
syslog daemon", of course.

IMO, this caveat is essentially a Squid bug.

You can prevent all Squid messages from appearing in system log files by
configuring your syslog daemon accordingly.

HTH,

Alex.