Search squid archive

Re: persistent connections not being utilized with Chrome

On 13/01/18 03:52, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
I am noticing that my Squid 3.5.20 installation is not utilizing
persistent connections with a Chrome browser user.  My Squid
configuration is not disabling the default status of persistent
connections being enabled.

I can see Chrome including "Proxy-Connection: keep-alive" in it's
request and Squid responding with "Connection: keep-alive" but I'm only
seeing one request being processed in each of these connections.

Looking at the network traffic, it does look like it's Squid that it
closing the socket though.  It's the first one to send a FIN packet.

Some possibilities... are persistent connections not available for
CONNECT requests?

What do you mean "not available for?

CONNECT can be pipelined after other requests on a persistent connection. But since it is a tunnel nothing can be pipelined after it.

 I don't believe that to be the case but just want to
confirm.  Or perhaps are persistent connections not available for
Negotiate'd requests?

None of the things that can be negotiated save keep-alive itself have any relevance to persistence / pipelining. They all interact with it in various ways but none outright conflict.

Are there any other possible reasons that Squid would close down a
socket that appears to be opened persistently?

Yes, literally everything. Connections can be terminated for any reason - intentionally or not.

CONNECT tunnels specifically end when the server sends FIN to Squid or any type of I/O error occurs.

Amos