Search squid archive

Re: Install Godaddy certificate on squid to use ssl-bumping functionnality

Hi Antoine,

Replies below:

On 30/05/14 15:44, Antoine Klein wrote:
Ok i'm really sorry, i don't understand the english very well...
I read again the discussion but i am confused :/

Before this project i had not any knowledge about certificates and SSL
connexions but i did several research on the subject, especially on
squid wiki.
I also read again the documentation here :
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SslBump
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DynamicSslCert
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/HTTPS
But nothing concern trusted signed certificate :/

My company wishes to offer to its clients a public WIFI, i need to use
squid for the delay pool, and possibly the cache. There is already a
warning given on the connexion where we have to accept terms of use
which warns the user.

Who are your "clients" - by which I mean not only what devices/browsers but also what relationship do they have to your company?

I think (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that delay pools do not require you to decrypt *anything*. To cache SSL replies, inspect for viruses/malware/bad URL paths, you do need to do so, hence SSLBump.

So, according to you, isn't it possible ?
I think it's strange, because the WIFI is deployed, and the connexion
of clients passes by the firewall which already decipher packets.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. How can your firewall possibly decipher SSL communications between <some random Wifi Connected device> and <some web server out on the internet>. Again, this would mean that SSL would be utterly worthless (which despite recent developments, it is not). Unless you gor your firewall from the NSA in which case I'd not recommend advertising that fact on here!

I don't understand why do you speak about dynamic certificate
generation, does it concern my problem ? Because finally i have the
certificate signed by godaddy and the private key of this certificate.

I feel like you might be wasting your time (and money) if you paid for this, You presumably have submitted a CSR for <foo.whatever.domain> to be signed by Godaddy. and received a certificate (.pem/.p12/.crt whatever) back How do you propose to use the certificate (which only certifies that domain) to somehow provide client browsers with a valid certificate for whatever https:// site they choose to visit? How would a cert for <foo.whatever.domain> have any use for someone visiting https://mylittlepony.com (example!). Or have we just completely missed the point and this SSL stuff is just for your own web server behind squid - in which case you have gone completely in the wrong direction and need to be looking at setting up a "reverse prosy", which does not require SSLBump at all and would indeed work with what you've just done.

Anyway, thanks for your patience. :)

I fear that even if mine does not run out then that of others may do so first. You really need to state exactly what it is you are trying to achieve, and this has so far IMHO not happened - and your English is perfectly good enough to do so.

Thanks

Alex