Search squid archive

Re: Re: Ubuntu Server 13.10. Squid 3.3.8. WARNING: external ACL 'memberof' queue overload

So,

A summery:
unix_sockets = how helpers communicate with squid instances.
And not only that..
All squid instances in SMP communicate using unix_sockets which are inter-kernel sockets to allow any process communicate with any other process.

(Found this:
 /*
  * Do we have unix sockets? (required for the winbind ntlm helper
  */
)

I have a question which is not for squid-users but I will just write it down to not forget it later in the morning. Q: Why each and every squid instance startup every helper as a "fork" while we do have IPC_SOCKETS? We can use one dedicated INSTANCE(in the far future) to do all these *consulting* while using a rock like approach. I do understand that concurrency in this situation must be True in all cases no matter what happens. A: What Is ICAP there for?.. Auth helpers probably cannot use the exact same interface(?) as ICAP offers.

Thanks!!
Eliezer