Search squid archive

How to tell if it is a true proxy

I was wondering if there was a way to test if a proxy was a "true" proxy.

I have been told there is a filter proxy and a true proxy. The difference being that
the true proxy is more secure. I have been told that a true proxy has a barrier of some
sort or protocol shift within the proxy.

[b]True proxy[/b]:  browser->proxy  [barrier or protocol shift]    proxy->remote site connection
[b]Filter proxy[/b]: browser->proxy  --  proxy->remote site connection

Thanks
Brian