Search squid archive

Re: Sponsor etag/vary support for Squid 3.3

On 02/04/2013 23:38, Alex Rousskov wrote:

I hope this will also be useful to others than just me!
Yes, I believe most of the ETag improvements you want will be generally
useful, including in environments where ETags come from origin servers
(rather than being added by Squid in violation of HTTP rules).

Thanks Alex. Yes, it seems a small number of frameworks are finally using etags correctly, so there is some possibility of real usage in the wild!

I still think that the earlier comprehensive design with a new/dedicated
checksum headers would be an overall better solution for your specific
problem, but it would take a lot more time to implement while you should
be able to get quite a bit by simply [ab]using ETags. And since the
changes you need are mostly generally useful, I do not see any big
problems with this simplified approach, at least as the first step.

Sure - I don't disagree, but this will be a great first step to prove whether it can work or not. Also, at least this bit will be standards compliant, so we can work on bending the rules outside of that change later on. I think this will be really good groundwork (and benefit squid)

Cheers

Ed W