Search squid archive

Re: Sponsor etag/vary support for Squid 3.3

On 03/20/2013 12:51 PM, Ed W wrote:

> I'm picking up an old thread from some time back.  I remain interested
> in getting support for etag into squid (and related revalidate support).
>
> My main requirement is that I have two proxies on either side of a
> bandwidth limited link (with high cost).  I want the situation that when
> a client GETs some object,

A client GETs some object currently in the cache and with ETag, but that
cached object is either stale or being forcefully reloaded by the
client, right?

> we can convert this to an IF-NONE-MATCH and
> trust the etag confirms that the object is unchanged.

> Note, I am aware of the limitations of trusting etags. In my setup I
> will have control over the proxy on the high speed side of the
> connection and we can use various methods on that side to ensure that
> the etags are sane. The main goal is to minimise bandwidth across the
> intermediate (expensive) link.
>
> Previously we discussed all kinds of complex ideas including
> implementing trailers, and custom headers with hash values.  On
> reflection I think everything required can be done using only etag
> revalidation (and some tweaking of etags, but squid needs know nothing
> about that...)

Yes, reload-into-If-None-Match and stale-into-If-None-Match features
sound simple. The latter may even be supported already (will check). If
something outside of Squid provides reliable-enough ETags to all
cachable responses, then the complexities discussed earlier go away.

Please confirm whether my understanding of your updated requirements is
correct.

Thank you,

Alex.