Search squid archive

Re: Squid as proxy with interception

On 12/03/2013 4:33 a.m., Magali Bernard wrote:
Hello,

After many years with squid as a proxy-cache combined with the proxy.pac or
WPAD client configurations, we are considering to use squid as a proxy with
interception (WCCP2) on our whole university site.

The reason essentially lies on complaints from users with their browsers
configurations, but also with applications that can not talk to a proxy...

We'd like to know if interception is widely used and approved.
Some feedback, good or bad experiences, would be precious for us.

It is widely used, and equally widely hated.

Your best choice of configuration is to use mutiple layers of client configuration:
 http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringBrowsers#Recommended_network_configuration

Since you have the WPAD/PAC layer(s) currently working *keep them*.
Just add the interception as a backup method for traffic which bypasses the WPAD/PAC.

Using the layered approach you get full proxy functionality with any software which correctly supports WPAD/PAC. While still getting the proxy access control and some caching with other software despite the interception limitations.

Amos