Search squid archive

Re: Squid Processes

On 27.02.2012 00:20, Ben wrote:
On 26/02/2012 6:59 a.m., Ben wrote:
Hi Amos,
<snip>

As i tested single squid instance with 400-450 req / sec and it is performing fine.Currently i deployed squid with 175 Mbps bandwidth load.Now we plan to use it for 400 Mbps so it suppose be 800 or 900 http req / sec , Does single squid process handle such heavy load or ?

The fact you got past 50Mbps easily at ~400 req/sec tells me your traffiic might be a bit unusual. On the ISP scenario I'm used to estimating with most of the reports have needed two Squid to get over 100Mbps. Good news for you, bad news for forcasting the limits.

You mean two instances of squid on same h/w to handle 100 Mbps.?

Maybe. Squid will consume 100% of _a_ CPU core or 100% of RAM available to it before trouble hits. To get multiple instances working well on one box you need more than 2 CPU cores and enough RAM to spread between them.

With the numbers below you will need 2-3 Squid instances. Whether the box can run that many Squid at peak traffic is the question...

As
in production i m using squid with 175 Mbps bandwidth usage and 450
http req / sec.
And it seems fine.Yes sometimes my cpu consumption is ~ 95 % and
memory is 85 % but generally cpu consumption is ~40 % and memory is ~
70 %.

Okay. I that case I would say your squid can go higher but only a few req/sec. Squid will just keep consuming more CPU and RAM until one reaches 100%, after which it slows down, possibly a lot.

As now i tested with single disk( 10k rpm). But now i plan to upgrade
it with more hdd.

That 10krpm may be maxing out and why your squid is not reaching either 100% CPU or RAM. More disks should help, 15k would be better.

Amos