Search squid archive

Re: Re: How can I get Squid to use more memory?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:31:21 +0000, RW wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:38:03 +1300
Amos Jeffries wrote:

cache_mem determines the size of in-RAM object cache. As your config
 says, "Feel free to use as much as needed". Limited only that the
box must not start swapping under peak load. That will kill
performance at the worst possible time.

Years ago I read something about how memory cache performance degraded
progressively with increasing object size, and that increasing
maximum_object_size_in_memory substantially could actually degrade
performance. Has this been fixed in both 3.x and 2.x?

Individual object size problems is not a limit on total RAM size used by Squid or its memory cache. You can allocate many GB of RAM cache then only store a few million <1KB objects in it.

Most of the the large object (up to 2GB) problems were solved in 3.0. The remainder (>2GB objects) were solved in 3.1.15.

Amos