Search squid archive

Re: multiple instances peering

On 26/10/11 23:48, jiluspo wrote:
This is the first pair, on every peer line will be commeted
All ip are 127.0.0.1 only named in host file.
I need the squid instance to query simultaneously to other siblings to avoid
duplications.
Squid2head

#cache_peer cache00 multicast 90 30 no-tproxy use-storeurl
multicast-siblings
cache_peer cache01 multicast 91 31 no-tproxy use-storeurl multicast-siblings
cache_peer cache02 multicast 92 32 no-tproxy use-storeurl multicast-siblings
cache_peer cache03 multicast 93 33 no-tproxy use-storeurl multicast-siblings

I'm not very familiar with the multicast side of things. But this config seems a bit weird. Here is what little I understand about it:

port 3x are configured to send ICP requests *to* each peer. But these are marked as multicast, which means the ICP is sent to the group address instead of the individual peers.

I think all peers would need to be listening on the same icp_port to get the multicast ICP request, which is not possible in multi-instance.

Also,

 * "no-tproxy" is a Squid-3.1 option. Not available in any squid-2.

* what is "use-storeurl" about? it is not an option in any Squid version at all.

#cache_peer_access cache00 allow all
cache_peer_access cache01 allow all
cache_peer_access cache02 allow all
cache_peer_access cache03 allow all

all instances has
mcast_groups 127.0.0.1

is there anything I missed? Or too much?

Maybe something built into multicast and how it works. But I'm almost as much in the dark there as you. So good luck, and I'd like to hear how this turns out :)

With this setup is there possibilities the object may loop?

I don't think so. The sibling and multicast relationships both goes some way to resolve that. With a combined coverage greater than the individual. You could ensure that "via on" is configured anyway. It will make any loops that do happen highly visible.