Search squid archive

Re: Using Keep-Alive and squid

On Mon, 23 May 2011 10:06:59 -0700, Andy Nagai wrote:
We operate a relatively high trafficked Image focused site that is served from two load balanced servers. Currently we keep keep-alive turned off on the apache servers. Resources on servers are limited. Would it be beneficial now to turn on keep-alive since now we have squid cache reverse proxy turned
on. What are the benefits of using squid with keep-alive?

One word: efficiency.

Greatly reduced TCP handshakes, near elimination of socket TIME_WAIT delays. When tuned and configured for your clients repeat HIT rate (how many items they pull, within how many seconds) it should be beneficial regardless of the Squid. Did you test it before disabling?

Squid<->Server connections have a much higher throughput and thus benefit extra well from the TCP reductions. The newer your Squid the more HTTP/1.1 support it has and more useful it can make one connection.

Amos