Search squid archive

Re: Share HTTPS over SQUID

The problem that I dont use Squid for a domain or with IIS! Im using
Squid as Transparent HTTP for caching purpose and to save traffic thus
I also want share HTTPS if its possible to work with HTTP Transparent
Enabled .

I suppose you are talking about a transparent forward-proxy achieved by dest NAT, right?

In my own experience, saving bandwidth/traffic through caching depends highly on the content. If you are lucky, you will maybe get about 25-30% hit ratio, the benefit would not be that huge ...

I am not sure if you can save traffic with HTTPs content at all. You can use a transparent proxy for HTTPs, but it would not be very transparent for the end user. Because you have to generate a certificate (pem file[1]), the client will get a warning message when surfing to HTTPs sites ... Basically, squid is doing a man-in-the-middle-atack and I personally would complain about that (I would not use it), but probably most user will just accept and/or ignore it anyway ;-)

jmy2c

[1] openssl req -new -newkey rsa:1024 -days 365 -nodes -x509 -keyout cert.pem -out cert.pem