To: <squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:17 PM
Subject: Re: RE: EXTERNAL: [squid-users] NEWBIE Q: httpd_accel_single_host?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:05:32 -0400, "AJ Weber" <aweber@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry it's taken me so long to test this out (a week...).

I have it working with some very preliminary tests, but I had to add the

"allow-direct" to the http_port line in addition to the example on the
Wiki
for the BasicAccelerator.

Is this correct?  Is my config "special" and/or does this depend on the
web/appserver being connected to, or should this be added to the wiki
(i.e.
documentation error)?

Is allow-direct just a security thing, or am I somehow disabling some of
the
Squid goodness?

It's a security thing. DIRECT access is blocked for reverse-proxy to
prevent Host: header games (CVE-2009-0801) and remove the need for DNS
resolution delays. It also helps prevent Squid from DNS-resolving itself as
the destination host of the domain and looping.

The basic config example contains a cache_peer line pointing specifically
at the back-end website host. With cache_peer_access rules using a
dstdomain ACL to allow only that hosts domains. Those lines should be
routing the relevant requests to that host without needing DIRECT access or
DNS in any way.

Amos

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amos Jeffries" <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>