Search squid archive

Re: how much traffic can squid handle?

Le lundi 9 août 2010 07:49:20, Stand H a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> If configured properly, how much traffic can a server with 16GB RAM, 3.0Ghz
> CPU, and 5 x 500GB SAS drive can handle? Anyone has a squid box that can
> handle more than 300Mbps traffic?
>
> From my experience and configuration, it can handle around 80Mbps only.
> Thank you.
>
> Stand

I  have  3  boxes,   8 cores,  32mb in ram,  SAS  in Raid5, and i handle  much
more than 80MBPS,

maybe your bottle neck is  content filtering or autentication, just wondering
because you  havent  say anything.

If you want to increase performance,  look forward to these as you havent say
anything about your configuration.

- use syslog, if you are using squid27 instead  writing logs or your  may turn
logs off in 3.1 if you dont care,
-  sent as first line of ACL/HTTP_ACCESS  filtering all your Deny without asking
for authentication yet, this will speed up
- see your squidclient mngr:info  page to see in  exactly what action you are
delaying  more.
- install a local  bind to speed up dns requests,
- change your cache policies to other thing more than LRU
- place more physicall memory for your mem_cache
- review your top output to see if you dont have high CPU IO waiting, if so
then you must be carefully with disc writting
- if you can,  use reiserfs  in your disc_cache partition
- us a higher authentication cache time and place alsomore helpers if this is
a bottle-neck

just wondering this could help

LD