Search squid archive

RE: dns problem

Thanks.
This is the nscd.conf - doesn't look to have any nameservers?

# /etc/nscd.conf
#
# An example Name Service Cache config file.  This file is needed by nscd.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#       logfile                 <file>
#       debug-level             <level>
#       threads                 <initial #threads to use>
#       max-threads             <maximum #threads to use>
#       server-user             <user to run server as instead of root>
#               server-user is ignored if nscd is started with -S parameters
#       stat-user               <user who is allowed to request statistics>
#       reload-count            unlimited|<number>
#       paranoia                <yes|no>
#       restart-interval        <time in seconds>
#
#       enable-cache            <service> <yes|no>
#       positive-time-to-live   <service> <time in seconds>
#       negative-time-to-live   <service> <time in seconds>
#       suggested-size          <service> <prime number>
#       check-files             <service> <yes|no>
#       persistent              <service> <yes|no>
#       shared                  <service> <yes|no>
#       max-db-size             <service> <number bytes>
#       auto-propagate          <service> <yes|no>
#
# Currently supported cache names (services): passwd, group, hosts
#

#       logfile                 /var/log/nscd.log
#       threads                 6
#       max-threads             128
        server-user             nscd
#       stat-user               nocpulse
        debug-level             0
#       reload-count            5
        paranoia                no
#       restart-interval        3600

        enable-cache            passwd          yes
        positive-time-to-live   passwd          600
        negative-time-to-live   passwd          20
suggested-size          passwd          211
        check-files             passwd          yes
        persistent              passwd          yes
        shared                  passwd          yes
        max-db-size             passwd          33554432
        auto-propagate          passwd          yes

        enable-cache            group           yes
        positive-time-to-live   group           3600
        negative-time-to-live   group           60
        suggested-size          group           211
        check-files             group           yes
        persistent              group           yes
        shared                  group           yes
        max-db-size             group           33554432
        auto-propagate          group           yes

        enable-cache            hosts           yes
        positive-time-to-live   hosts           3600
        negative-time-to-live   hosts           20
        suggested-size          hosts           211
        check-files             hosts           yes
        persistent              hosts           yes
        shared                  hosts           yes
        max-db-size             hosts           33554432

> Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:04:55 +0100
> From: jc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: webster_jack@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:  dns problem
>
> J. Webster schrieb:
>> It would seem strabge for the IP address of the source server to change everyday as DNS addresses take a while to update and the source server company wouldn't want their site down for more than a few seconds.
>>
> This depends on the validity of the DNS entries. Not sure if nscd obeys
> these in any situation. You can setup a DNS correctly to change rapidly
> (as can be seen with any DNS redirecting service for dialup IPs).
>> I have the host nameservers set in /etc/resolv.conf as:
>> nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx
>>
>> nameserver 213.171.xxx.xxx
>>
>> search localdomain
>>
>> squid must use those as I have not set any nameserver= in the squid.conf
>>
> Then nscd would be out of the game; if the problem goes away after
> restarting nscd, squid obviuosly uses this DNS server either via
> localhost or via the IP address of the machine. What nameservers are
> configured in the nscd config?
>
> cheers jc

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/