Search squid archive

Re: Could this be a potential problem? Squid stops working and requires restart to work

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:47:22 -0900, Chris Robertson <crobertson@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Asim Ahmed @ Folio3 wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found this in cache.log when i restarted squid after a halt!
>>
>> CPU Usage: 79.074 seconds = 48.851 user + 30.223 sys
>> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
>> Page faults with physical i/o: 0
>> Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
>>        total space in arena:    7452 KB
>>        Ordinary blocks:         7363 KB    285 blks
>>        Small blocks:               0 KB      1 blks
>>        Holding blocks:         14752 KB     94 blks
>>        Free Small blocks:          0 KB
>>        Free Ordinary blocks:      88 KB
>>        Total in use:           22115 KB 297%
>>        Total free:                88 KB 1%
>
> This is not likely the source of your trouble...
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200904/0535.html
>
> Chris

That would be right if they were negatives or enough to wrap 32-bit back
to positive.

Since its only ~300% I'm more inclined to think it's a weird issue with
the squid memory cache objects.

The bug of this week seems to be a few people now seeing multiple-100%
memory usage in Squid on FreeBSD 7+ 64-bit OS. Due to Squid memory-cache
objects being very slightly larger than the malloc page size. Causing 2x
pages per node instead of just one. And our use of fork() allocating N time
the virtual-memory which mallinfo might report.

Asim Ahmed: does that match your OS?

Amos