Search squid archive

Re: squid as reverse proxy for DNS ?

a.bell.is.a.cup. until.it.is.struck wrote:
Hi,
I am in the market for a reverse proxy that does intelligent load
balancing for DNS.
I don't recall squid handling UDP traffic... You'll definitely get a more authoritative answer from the others.

However, if you don't care about inspecting traffic it's pretty simple to set up a UDP relay. You basically listen for traffic and whatever comes in you fire it at the target, and whatever comes back you fire back to the client. No muss no fuss. You're data isn't going to be big and complicated, you're talking about messages of 512 bytes or less. I made a little program that does this a few years ago, which i can (probably) track down if you're interested in a tinker project. But it doesn't handle any dns TCP traffic, which (guessing) probably isn't going to happen with your usual client.

You might want to set up an ISC bind configuration to accomplish your goals.

Waitman