Search squid archive

Re: refresh_pattern configuration

Muhammad Sharfuddin wrote:
Squid Cache: Version 2.5.STABLE12
and
Squid Cache: Version 2.7.STABLE5

I am using following refresh_patterns and never encounter any problem.
e.g once I visit a website, on next visit usually squid serves it from
cache, and TCP_HIT or TCP_MEM_HIT or TCP_REFRESH_HIT etc are so common
in '/var/log/squid/access'

But a person(who I beleive is a Linux/Squid Guru) critcize on the
refresh_pattern I am using in squid.

(One of my posts or someone else?).

So please pass your comments and corrections on the following configs

#Suggested default:
refresh_pattern ^ftp:           1440    20%     10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher:        1440    0%      1440
####refresh_pattern .             0       20%     4320

refresh_pattern -i \.ico$  43200 100% 43200 override-lastmod
override-expire ignore-reload

The problem with these commonly used patterns is that websites are now obfuscating the URL with query strings more and more often. Not always intentionally.

Example; the above pattern will not match any website with:
  http://example.com/some.ico?sid=user-session-id&track=fukn-cookie-id

changing the hard $ to softer (\?.*)?$ catches all of those websites and keeps Squid doing what you meant to configure.

Other than that the only thing to draw real criticism is the use of non-compliant override options. It's not nice netizen behaviour, ... but ... "everyone else does it".

[warning rant ahead: (not your fault I know)]

Personally as a webmaster I set realistic expiry info on every website I touch in order to maximize speed and cacheability, particularly since getting to now Squid. It really annoys me that admin like yourself are forced to do this by a horribly large amount of clueless websites and CMS software developers. Such rules will in fact _decrease_ the cacheability times and benefits for many of the websites I and other clued-on people setup. We are forced to cope by changing filenames and sometimes URL links on every single edit, no matter how trivial. I'm sick of people complaining "why can Y see their user icon in forum X but I can't? ... what?! cant fix it till next month just because I live in country/ISP X?" always the webmaster to blame, never the browser author or transparent proxy admin.
/rant

Amos
--
Please be using