Search squid archive

Re: Architecture

Amos Jeffries wrote:
Ronan Lucio wrote:
It really seems to be a better choice.
Do you have any idea about how many page hit would handle one squid servers? Thinking about a Dual QuadCore 4Gb RAM serving only small files (less than 300 Kb each).

Adrian has mapped Squid 2.7 as far as 800-850 req/sec. Squid-3 is untested but expected to be at minimum 500 req/sec (2.5 was capable of this around the time of the Squid-3 branch).
NP: that is on single-threaded machines.

We have confirmed data from one Squid-2.7 install doing 2.7K req/sec on high-end quad-core hardware a few years back and unconfirmed reports of another deployment (unknown version) topping 5K req/sec 1-2 years ago.

Wikimedia are the poster deployment for CARP deployment to around ~200 Squid last I heard and push dozens of TB per day (their network diagrams show 3 load balancing Squid, I'm not sure if thats right though). So even if one Squid can't handle it the model scales enormously. Their case-study has graphs from back when it was 50 Squid show 560+ req/sec ...
http://www.squid-cache.org/Library/wikimedia.dyn

Chris Robertson had some numbers a while back, he may chime in with something more accurate :)

I'm running a strictly forward proxy setup, which puts an entirely different load on the system. It's also a pretty low load (peaks of 160 req/sec at 25mbit/sec).

Chris