Search squid archive

Re: squid never asks for authentication

Amos Jeffries wrote:
Yan Seiner wrote:
I'm trying to set up squid authentication, and I must be missing something simple. I've tried both pam and ldap; while each works separately, neither will work with squid. The browser never pops up the authentication dialog box.

If I use basic or htdigest auth in apache, the browsers properly display the auth dialog box. But not with squid.

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/pam_auth

acl AUTHENTICATED proxy_auth REQUIRED
acl our_networks src 192.168.128.0/24
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

http_access allow AUTHENTICATED
#http_access allow our_networks
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

deny !AUTHENTICATED.

On 'allow' squid will either accept (aka allow) or continue looking for other rules that may apply.

If you deny access to non-authenticated users Squid will challenge for any missing auth details before continuing to look for a reason to allow the request.

Normal auth usage is like this:

 http_access deny !AUTHENTICATED
 http_access allow our_networks
 http_access deny all

The wiki is misleading on this. http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ProxyAuthentication

(allow only local networks, if they are authenticated first)

Amos

Chris