Search squid archive

Re: DIRTY cache problem

> Hello All,
>
> Anybody know why I am getting "Rebuilding storage in
> /usr/local/squid/var/cache (DIRTY)" in my cache.log when I restart squid?
> read in an old message from Heinrich that it was because squid wasn't
> shutdown properly. However, I have completely rebuilt squid
> and still get the same messages.
>
> The problem is that when I redirect port 80 clients through squid now,
> they just hang. There are no indications in any logs that the
> clients are even making it to squid. However, if I disable the proxy
> setting in a client, the connections are made immediately.
> Squid has been working perfectly for months and now this DIRTY cache
> message and clients hang.

This is known behavior when Squid is overloaded with some task. A lot of
work has been done since 2.5 to reduce this, but there are still some
instances where it happens.

What I believe is happening here is that Squid is busy processing the
cache, and client requests are left queued up in the OS connection buffer.
They will get handled, but is a slow race between the client connect
timeout and whatever squid is doing.

> I did have a power failure that lasted longer than my UPS could support,
> so the server died abruptly. This would account for the
> improper shutdown that Heinrich mentioned, but now I have completely
> rebuild the entire squid directory structure and squid.
>
> I am using squid-2.5.STABLE4!

Please upgrade then :)

> Anybody know what is going on here and how I can correct it?

'DIRTY' just means the swap.state was missing or unreadable (as happens
after a bad shutdown or crash) and squid has to rebuild from a complete
file scan of the cache_dir.

If the swap.state exists, try stopping squid, deleting it, and then
starting Squid. You will get one run of DIRTY, let it finish, then further
restarts should work okay again.

Amos