From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Squid Scalability
To: "Sunny Bhatheja" <opensource.linux4e@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 10:06 AM
Sunny Bhatheja wrote:
Hi,
      I have the following configuration
of my Hardware. So can any one suggest me that how much I
can scale my Squid in terms of users.
1)       Sun Fire system
x4450
2)       Quad Cord

3)       64 GB RAM

4)       146x4 GB HDD

I am using squid 2.6 STABLE4 that is bundled with RHEL
5.2

Despite many years of asking, few people have ever supplied
the squid project with relevant benchmarking info. We depend
on volunteers so there are no hard numbers available
publicly yet.

req/sec scales into thousands on modern hardware. It
depends on what modes you run squid as (forward/reverse have
vastly different maximums), how high the hit-ratios are and
how many req/sec each user makes.

To scale higher you will need a newer Squid than
2.6.stable6.

Amos
-- Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.6