Search squid archive

Re: Delay pool aggregate is very large negative number on upload

Prasanna Krishnamoorthy wrote:
Hello List!

We have a simple scenario with a transparent squid proxy and two delay
pools, one unlimited and one limited. When a user in the limited delay
pool uploads a large file (say via Gmail) his Individual-Current pool
becomes a large negative number, and so does the Aggregate-Current
pool. This behaviour is highly offensive, since browsing "freezes" for
all users, until the delay pool Aggregate becomes positive again.

I agree, it may be highly offensive to clients. Why are you doing it?

Personally I'd configure squid with only individual pools. And limit each user IP separately.

ie:
  delay_parameters 2 -1/-1  32000/64000

Squid Conf -

delay_pools 2

delay_class 1 2
delay_parameters 1 -1/-1  -1/-1
acl bpool-1 src "/etc/squid/bpools/bpool-1"
delay_access 1 allow bpool-1
delay_access 1 deny all

delay_class 2 2
delay_parameters 2 64000/256000  32000/64000

Why not add here:
  delay_access 2 deny bpool-1
> delay_access 2 allow all

... which means you can get rid of the unlimited pool above.
bpool-1 people will be left without a pool at all, and get through without speed limits.

Please let me know what information I can provide to figure this out.
It's pretty easy to reproduce for us. We are also ready to test any
patch (we use Ubuntu Hardy, Squid Cache: Version 3.0.STABLE7-1  - the
latest available in Hardy).

Thanks,
Prasanna.

That said, there does seem to be a problem. Delay pools should not go negative at any point. Is it only happening on POST?

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.5