Search squid archive

Re: Squid cache problem

Amos Jeffries wrote:
George wrote:
Hi,

I've set up the following acls/outgoing_ip settings in my squid:
acl ip1 myip 1.1.1.1
tcp_outgoing_address 1.1.1.1 ip1

for each IP I have on the server. I need this to be able to use each
IP of the server as the outbound one.

The problem is that if I use IP 1.1.1.1 then I can't switch to IP
1.1.1.2 without restarting squid or without waiting about 10-20
minutes. It is caching.

How can I disable this caching?

I've put: cache_dir null /null
but it does not help solve my IP caching problem.

How can I disable the squid caching completly?

I have squid-3.0.STABLE7-2 running on CentOS 4

Thanks

Squid receiving IP (myip) and sending IP (tcp_outgoing_address) are re-evaluated for every single outgoing connection. There is no caching of IPs involved.

Perhapse you have a 10-20 minute cycle on DNS IPs which your browser is using to connect to Squid with.

Perhapse you have persistent connections in use, which may cause a particular link to or from Squid to be re-used for different requests.

From experience this is the most likely. Make sure server_persistent_connections is set to off (it's on by default) if you want to change the outgoing IP for sequential connections to the same site.

Perhapse what you are tying to do is not good network engineering.
Why is it so very important to you that in/out IPs are forcibly linked?

For me, I have a central web filter that doesn't understand the concept of X-Forwarded-For. Using the combination of myip and tcp_outgoing_address allows me to run one instance of Squid on each of my remote servers, but allow different filtering categories based on which IP a customer connects to.

Amos

Chris