Search squid archive

Re: Understanding Expect 100 default setting

Paul Cocker wrote:
Once again, Henrik is the man:

http://www.nabble.com/CONNECT-errors-with-2.7.STABLE2-2-td18261153.html

What I'm looking for is a brief, technical explanation of why this
setting defaults to off rather than on. I didn't really get from that
thread why the defaults were the way they were, especially as the
behaviour described with the Expect 100 wasn't in violation of spec,
just unusual.

We had a problem which was solved by this setting, and I want to be in a
position to explain why things were setup in a way which caused this
issues to occur.

Thanks,

Paul Cocker

In his post about the option Henrik mentioned it:
"Very RFC-ignorant"

One of the aims of the quid developers is to have Squid being as RFC compliant as possible as the first hurdle to interacting with other software.

Routinely ignoring perfectly valid responses is not an ideal thing to force on users. So the default is off.

BUT there are cases such as yours where it's required due to broken server applications or squid lack of capability, which make it necessary. So it's provided to help you keep operating until the issue gets fixed.

If turning it on fixes something for you, you still need to find out what is broken and see about fixing it. Because simply having it turned on is a forced brokenness in the Squid behavior.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2 or 3.0.STABLE11-RC1