Search squid archive

Re: "FATAL: Cannot open 'on' for writing." Solution for anyone having this problem.

Callum wrote:
I just upgraded on FC9, 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686 to
squid-3.0.STABLE10-1.fc9.i386 this very morning (can't remember what
version it was from - just whatever went before I suppose).  Once I'd
done this, Squid refused to start, throwing up with a:

FATAL: Cannot open 'on' for writing.
	The parent directory must be writeable by the
	user 'squid', which is the cache_effective_user
	set in squid.conf.

I found various references to this but no solutions apart from one
person who said the issue was resolved after deleting and re-creating
the cache and then upgrading to the latest version.  I was already
current and re-creating the cache did nothing.

After an hour of staff and students realising how truly dull computers
are without the Internet, I sussed it out.  A grep -v
'^#' /etc/squid/squid.conf | egrep 'on' showed the lines in squid.conf
which weren't commented out and also had 'on' in them.  This got me to
try commenting these options out.
After some monkeying around I found that I needed to chop both of these
out to make the current Squid talk to me again:

referer_log on
useragent_log on

I also have 'emulate_httpd_log on' set but I didn't need to remove that
though it may be relevant.

Anyhow, I'm sure a few people will run into this so hopefully it'll help
someone.

C.

Thanks. Yes it was the log lines.
Those two are now expecting the filenames to log to not just on/off toggles.

emulate_httpd_log is still and on/off since it only affects the access_log files. You may need to keep it unchanged for any of your log processing software.

Amos
--
Please be using
  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.2