Search squid archive

Re: ICP queries for 'dynamic' urls?

Gregori Parker wrote:
I'm curious about this as well - so is the answer that siblings cannot
be queried for dynamic content and you need to use hierarchy_stoplist to
keep squid from trying?  Or is there a way to get ICP/HTCP to query
siblings with the entire URI, query arguments and all?  I have a very
similar setup and have been considering eliminating sibling
relationships altogether because of this...

Way back when the web was young and dynamic content was rare, query strings just about always indicated personalized, non-cacheable content. Prior to version 2.7 and 3.1 (I think) Squid, by default did not even attempt to cache anything with "cgi-bin" or a question mark in the URL (acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin ?/no_cache deny QUERY). Since this content was not cached, there was no reason to check if it is cached on siblings (hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?).

If you are using the now recommended refresh_pattern (refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0 0% 0 ), dynamic content that provides freshness information can be cached (and that which doesn't, will not be) so removing the default hierarchy_stoplist might net you a few more hits.

Hope that clears it up.

Chris