Search squid archive

Re: Cache problem- should i remove the cache In doingso will it be recrated once gain ?

Jyotishmaan Ray wrote:
Please find your reply below embedded:

 >> Secondly as of now the my proxy-server's disk usage is as shown below:

 > run: du -sh /var/*

The output is as shown below:

[root@stud-pxy ~]# du -sh /var/*
12K     /var/account
127M    /var/cache
8.0K    /var/cvs
24K     /var/db
16K     /var/empty
16K     /var/ftp
8.0K    /var/games
12K     /var/gdm
137M    /var/lib
8.0K    /var/local
40K     /var/lock
10G     /var/log
20K     /var/lost+found
4.0K    /var/mail
220K    /var/named
8.0K    /var/net-snmp
8.0K    /var/nis
8.0K    /var/opt
8.0K    /var/preserve
8.0K    /var/racoon
384K    /var/run
1.8G    /var/spool
2.5M    /var/tmp
12M     /var/www
24K     /var/yp
[root@stud-pxy ~]#

Now tell me should I delete /var/cache as it occupies around 127M of the disk space. In doing so it will create a lot of free space in the /var partition, but then how good it would be for the cache ??

Will it become too slow as then cache has been removed ?

Ah, /var/cache usually contains the combined caches of many system services. You can see which ones by "ls -la /var/cache"

The worst problem you have is as I suspected the logs at ~10,000 MB, next biggest is the /var/spool at ~2,000 MB (which is probably where squid cache data actually is).

Find out whats leaving so many of such big logs and see if you can cut the size down a bit.

Amos

Give the pointers and the step-wise solution of the problem.

 > Which will show you what parts of /var/ are the biggest space users and
 > then recurse down to see what inside them is wasting space.
 >

 >> Give some poniters, as i  am a new bie.
 >>
 >> As of now, I keep deleting the files which are created on daily basis.
 >>

 > huh? what filenames?

yup these files are generated to keep track of the sites visited by the student users more than 1000, to keep a check on :

they are crated on the directory:

/var/www/sarg/daily

The filenames are of the type:

2008Sep10-2008Sep10